Ozama Fortress Santo Domingo
The Ozama Fortress in the Colonial Zone, remains of the Spanish colonization, was the first stronghold of the Americas.
Description of the fortress in the Colonial Zone
was built in 1502 to 1508 by the Spanish colony during the colonial
era, it was the first major military complex in America. Ozama Fortress
is considered a World Heritage site, like other monuments of the
Zone of Santo Domingo.
Construction began near the Rio Ozama by the Governor at the time Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo to protect the various attacks of conquerors French, Portuguese, English and pirates.
Ozama Fortress is shaped stone castle and retains its original medieval. The Tour del Homenaje is a medieval castle, the tower has a height of 18 meters.
Diego Columbus and his wife occupied the rooms of the Tour del Homenaje later, these rooms served as a prison and each room has a different name. During the dictatorship of Trujillo was a cell called the cell of the last farewell. This cell was reserved for the death penalty.
Ozama fortress consists of:
La Torre del Homenaje.
El Portal de Carlos III.
The estatua of Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo.
El Fuerte de Santiago.
The Platform of Tiro Baja.
The Platform of Tiro Alta.
Las Ruinas de Primera Obra.
Photos of the Fortaleza Ozama
Sea more photos of Santo Domingo
Location - Access in Santo Domingo
Ozama Fortress is located
Calle de las Damas in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo.
Price: RD $ 60 (in 12/2011)
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday.